Site Search

League Report: Brave Tigers Denied by Thunder

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 - 12:40 PM
Share |

By Dan Scamozzi

A never-give-in Claremont saw their three-game winning run come to an end after a heartbreaking two-point loss to Peel Thunder in bitterly cold and wet conditions at Bendigo Bank Stadium.

Despite trailing at every change, the Tigers showed tremendous courage to hit the front in the final term, however, a return of 1.7 for the term resulted in a 6.15 (51) to 8.5 (53) defeat.

The loss leaves Claremont in sixth position on the ladder, still one win outside the top five, but with no doubt they can match it with the teams who sit above them.

28 more disposals, 15 more inside 50s and eight more scoring shots saw Claremont dominate the reigning premiers in general play, mainly after half-time, however, the inability to convert ultimately cost the Tigers victory.

Haydn Busher (21 disposals, four inside 50s) took a team-high six marks and blanketed Fremantle’s Matt Taberner (one goal) to finish as Claremont’s best player and win the players’ player award following an outstanding game in defence, while Jye Bolton (29 disposals, seven tackles, seven inside 50s) battled manfully.

Jesse Laurie (six tackles) provided his trademark composure along with an unwavering attack on the ball, with Jared Hardisty (25 disposals, five tackles) and Keifer Yu (20 disposals) in strong support.

Zac Langdon (two goals) finished as the Tigers’ only multiple goal kicker and laid a team-high eight tackles, with Beau Maister (ankle) a late withdrawal and replaced by Jack Richardson.

Meanwhile, Charles Le Fanu made his club League debut following some strong form in the Reserves.

Peel were led by the unflappable Ryan Nyhuis (30 disposals) and Sam Collins (11 marks), as the hosts recorded their eighth win of the season and maintained third position on the ladder.

A goal to the dynamic Chris (CJ) Oakley in the opening minute of the game gave Claremont a flying start, before Taberner and Shane Kersten replied for Peel.

An outstanding finish by Harrison McCracken, following repeat efforts by acting captain Ian Richardson, saw the Tigers reclaim the lead, before Peel captain Gerald Ugle hit back for the hosts.

An inspiring chase and tackle by Hardisty soon followed, before Calvin Thorne gave Peel consecutive goals and a nine-point lead at the first change.

A dire second term saw Peel kick the only two goals and restrict the Tigers to a paltry behind, as the hosts extended their lead to 23 points at the long break.

With Claremont needing to lift and take the game on, a goal to Alex Manuel followed some great efforts by Matt Guelfi, before a kick forward by Bolton enabled Langdon to kick truly and give the Tigers consecutive majors.

A brilliant pass by Manuel then saw Eddie Simpson pull Claremont to within one point at the final change, with the Tigers holding Peel scoreless in the third term and now full of confidence, thanks largely to 14 clearances to 7 and 14 inside 50s to three for the term.

Two behinds saw the Tigers hit the front in the early stages of the final term, before goals to Cameron Sutcliffe and Michael Tassone saw Peel take a nine-point lead at the 11-minute mark, however, the Tigers were far from done.

A second to Langdon, following a brilliant tap by Guelfi, saw the Tigers close to within two points at the 15-minute mark, however, despite the latter stages of the game largely being played in Claremont’s forward half, the visitors were unable to find the big sticks.

The Tigers host South Fremantle at Claremont Oval in NAIDOC Round on Saturday.

CLAREMONT 2.3 2.4 5.8 6.15 (51)

PEEL THUNDER 4.0 6.3 6.3 8.5 (53)


CLAREMONT: 2 Z. Langdon, 1 C. Oakley, H. McCracken, E. Simpson, A. Manuel.

PEEL THUNDER: 2 S. Kersten, 1 M. Taberner, C. Sutcliffe, C. Thorne, M. Tassone, G. Ugle, H. Matthews.


CLAREMONT: H. Busher, J. Bolton, J. Laurie, J. Hardisty, K. Yu.

PEEL THUNDER: R. Nyhuis, M. Tassone, S. Collins, Z. Dawson, T. Duman.