Select grade below


Monday, May 23, 2022 - 11:58 AM


The mighty Claremont Tigers overcame a goalless first term to defeat East Perth by 47 points in glorious conditions in round five at Revo Fitness Stadium. 

After trailing by 17 points at quarter-time, Claremont kicked 14 goals to four to prevail 14.13 (97) to 7.8 (50) and record their fourth win on the back of their highest score of the season.

In what was an even team performance, vice-captain Jye Bolton (team-high 30 disposals) was named best player for his display across half-back and in midfield, while forward Callan England (two goals) produced his best performance of the season in his 50th game.

Hardworking forward Tyron Smallwood (15 disposals, one goal) made the most of his recall as he applied terrific pressure on the opposition, while captain and wingman Dec Mountford gave the team strong service.

Midfielder Ronin O’Connor (23 disposals, six tackles, five inside 50s) produced his best performance of the season and kicked his first League goal, while forward Alex Manuel kicked a game-high four goals.

East Perth midfielders Hamish Brayshaw (game-high nine inside 50s) and Angus Scott both recorded a game-high 31 disposals and gave the visitors strong service, while lively forward Sebit Kuek kicked a team-high three goals.

Midfielder Jared Hardisty (game-high seven tackles) returned for his first game of the season as the Tigers kicked to the Claremont end of the ground in the opening term, however, goals from Scott, Tom Medhat and Harley Sparks gave East Perth their 17-point lead at the first break.

Claremont coach Ash Prescott urged the Tigers to improve their efficiency, as Smallwood produced a chase and tackle and also a smother inside 50 early in the second term in a sign of his appetite for the contest.

Key forward Jack Buller then kicked the Tigers’ first goal before Kuek kicked his first, O’Connor snapping truly from a stoppage and Manuel spearing through Claremont’s third major to cut the deficit to 10 points.

Smallwood marked strongly at half-forward and converted a 50m penalty after midfielder Bailey Rogers won the centre clearance, Rogers then sending the ball inside 50 where milestone man England kicked Claremont’s fifth goal.

With O’Connor becoming busier by the minute, England and Buller both kicked their second goals to give the Tigers six in a row and a 20-point lead at half-time after a seven-goals-to-one second term.

A second goal from Kuek gave East Perth first blood early in the second half before a sharp handball from in-form wingman Ryan Lim set up midfielder Ben Edwards for his first major, Medhat replying with his second goal to keep East Perth in touch.

However, consecutive goals from Manuel in time-on gave the Tigers a 28-point lead at the final break, with Prescott urging his team to use the centre corridor.

A fourth goal from Manuel inside the opening 15 seconds of the final term put the result beyond doubt after Mountford laid a strong tackle on Brayshaw in midfield to create a turnover, a courageous marking effort from forward Max Minear at half-forward leading to midfielder Ben Elliott kicking the Tigers’ 12th major.

Fellow midfielder Max Spyvee then added his name to the goal-kicking list before Kuek kicked his third, a third major from Buller after the final siren capping off a strong comeback from the Tigers.

Claremont face Peel Thunder at Lane Group Stadium in round six.

CLAREMONT 0.4 7.6 10.10 14.13 (97)

EAST PERTH 3.3 4.4 6.6 7.8 (50)


CLAREMONT: 4 A. Manuel, 3 J. Buller, 2 C. England, 1 R. O’Connor, B. Edwards, B. Elliott, M. Spyvee, T. Smallwood.

EAST PERTH: 3 S. Kuek, 2 T. Medhat, 1 H. Sparks, A. Scott.


CLAREMONT: J. Bolton, C. England, T. Smallwood, D. Mountford, R. O’Connor.

EAST PERTH: A. Schumacher, H. Brayshaw, K. Willcocks, S. Jones, T. Medhat.