Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 11:21 AM


Claremont kicked seven goals to two after half-time to overrun Swan Districts by 37 points at Revo Fitness Stadium and record consecutive wins.

After a hard-fought and, at times, lacklustre first half from the Tigers, the hosts found their mojo on the back of increased energy and communication as they held Swans goalless in the third term and ended up prevailing 13.7 (85) to 7.6 (48).

Full-forward Alec Waterman (three goals) won best player and the players’ player award for his hardworking and prominent performance, with fellow forwards Cal England (one), Isaac Barton and Harry McCracken (three) also giving the Tigers great service.

Bullocking midfielder Jared Hardisty (23 disposals, six tackles) applied his trademark attack on the contest, while consistent defender Haydn Busher, who was flattened in the opening minute of the game, bravely returned and played a prominent game alongside fellow defender Ryan Nyhuis (50th game).

Ruckman Corey Gault gave Swans great service and forward Leigh Kohlmann kicked a team-high three goals, however, the visitors were unable to keep up with the fitter Tigers.

Midfielder Dec Mountford replaced defender Anthony Davis in the only change to the Claremont team that defeated Subiaco in round one, as captain Kane Mitchell elected to kick to the southern end of the ground.

Busher was gang-tackled in the opening minute and assisted from the field in a dazed state, before Mitchell laid a smother at half-back and forward Anton Hamp kicked the opening goal.

Kohlmann replied for Swans with consecutive goals, with Busher now back in the action and midfielder Bailey Rogers already busy.

Barton then laid a smother of his own before England snapped truly and Hamp kicked his second goal to give the Tigers a six-point lead at quarter-time, however, with the hosts trailing in every major statistic, coach Darren Harris urged the team to “roll the sleeves up” and “get to work.”

Consecutive goals to Swans gave the visitors a six point lead early in the second term, before McCracken kicked truly to level the scores.

A 50m penalty then gifted Swans their fifth goal before Waterman kicked consecutive majors to give the Tigers a five-point lead at half-time.

The Tigers began the second half with Rogers becoming more prominent and midfielder Ryan Lim kicking truly, before McCracken kicked his second goal after Barton won a 50m penalty and delivered a spearing pass.

With Barton involved again, Mitchell delivered a kick-to-advantage to forward Alex Manuel, who kicked the Tigers’ ninth goal to extend the lead to 26 points at the final change.

After a much-improved third term, Harris praised the team’s energy and voice, before defender Dylan Smallwood laid a smother at half-back in the early stages of the final term and Oliver Eastland extended the lead.

A third major from McCracken gave the Tigers seven consecutive goals and a game-high 37-point lead, before Kohlmann kicked his third and Swans’ first goal since the eight-minute mark of the second term.

Hamp replied with his third goal after a clever kick to full-forward from Lim, before Tarir Bayok replied for Swans. 

Fittingly, Waterman kicked his third goal after the final siren to cap off a fine performance.

The Tigers face South Fremantle at Fremantle Community Bank Oval in round three.

CLAREMONT 3.2 6.3 9.7 13.7 (85)

SWAN DISTRICTS 2.2 5.4 5.5 7.6 (48)


CLAREMONT: 3 A. Waterman, A. Hamp, H. McCracken, 1 R. Lim, C. England, O. Eastland, A. Manuel.

SWAN DISTRICTS: 3 L. Kohlmann, 1 J. Cipro, M. Riggio, A. Stephens, T. Bayok.


CLAREMONT: A. Waterman, C. England, I. Barton, J. Hardisty, H. McCracken.

SWAN DISTRICTS: C. Gault, S. Payne, J. Cipro, S. Fisher, L. Kohlmann.