Wednesday, April 8, 2020 - 4:29 PM

Quenton Leach was the epitome of the complete footballer. He was skilful, fast, a brilliant aerialist, tough and a superb reader of the play. And, above all, Claremont fans loved him dearly for his fearlessness.

Now we are mourning the death of a club champion.

Leach died on Tuesday this week after losing his battle with cancer, aged 47 and leaving his wife Shannan and their children Ella, Ollie and Jackson.

A product of the Marist Football Club, Leach made 61 league appearances for Claremont between 1991 and 1998 as well as playing 56 AFL matches for the Fremantle Dockers between 1995 and 1998.

He was a half-back flanker par excellence before shining as a half-forward in his final couple of years with the Dockers.

Leach made his league debut for the Tigers in the round one match against Swan Districts at Bassendean Oval on April 6, 1991 and was a member of Claremont’s 1993 premiership side which defeated West Perth by five goals in the grand final.     

In 1994 Leach played for a combined West Australian side in a pre-season match against North Melbourne and for WA in the match against South Australia in Adelaide. He capped a magnificent season by being awarded the E. B. Cook Medal as Claremont’s fairest-and-best player, finishing ahead of Clinton Wolf, Brad Wira, Andrew McGovern and Anthony Jones. He also was runner-up to Subiaco’s Ian Dargie for the Sandover Medal.

Leach was one of Claremont’s best players in the 1994 grand final but had the disappointment of losing by 21 points to East Fremantle. Then he was one of 14 Claremont players to be drafted by the Fremantle Dockers and was one of 12 Tigers who represented Fremantle in that club’s first AFL fixture, a five-point loss to Richmond at the MCG in 1995.

He was a regular member in Fremantle’s side in 1995-96-97 before dropping back to WAFL ranks in three matches in 1998 --- against East Fremantle at Claremont  Oval in round four, against Perth at Lathlain Park in round five and in a round 18 contest against Peel Thunder at Claremont Oval on July 25 when the Tigers were successful by 37 points.