Colts Grand Final: Tigers Win A Classic

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 - 9:22 AM

By Dan Scamozzi

A stunning and determined performance from Claremont’s Colts saw the Tigers defeat Peel Thunder by five points, 13.4 (82) to 11.11 (77), in glorious conditions in the Grand Final at Optus Stadium.

In a pulsating contest which featured several momentum swings and moments of brilliance, the Tigers’ efficiency in front of goal, mateship and perseverance paved the way for their third premiership in the past five seasons.

Congratulations to the team, captain Ronin O’Connor, coach Ross McQueen and his coaching staff and all of the support staff.

In a thrilling finish to the game in the final five minutes, Peel’s Tyrone Thorne gave the Thunder a one-point lead when he kicked truly, before Claremont’s Anthony Davis reclaimed the lead for the Tigers.

Then, with 15 seconds remaining and Peel about to snap a shot for goal from the pocket, Claremont defender Leno Thomas hurled himself at the contest to inspirationally smother the ball over the boundary line and deny the Thunder.

The brilliant and memorable act enabled the Tigers to hang on for a tense win against a Peel team which suffered just two losses during the home-and-away season.

Claremont midfielder Jack Cooley (game-high 33 disposals, team-high seven tackles, game-high seven inside 50s) won the Mel Whinnen Medal after being adjudged best afield for his brilliant performance, with Thomas and Davis also among the best players.

The smooth-moving Joel Western (23 disposals, six tackles) was also prominent, while ruckman Callum Jamieson (game-high 34 hit-outs) and the hardworking and speedy Kade Lines gave the Tigers tremendous service.

Meanwhile, the silky Isaiah Butters kicked a team-high four goals as he terrorised Peel’s defence with his clever positioning and ability to convert his opportunities.

Powerful forward Ben Middleton (five marks) kicked a game-high five goals for Peel, while Thorne laid a game-high eight tackles.

Jack Buller gave the Tigers a dream start to the game when he converted a brilliant pass from Jake Willson in the opening minute, before Peel’s Isiah Winder kicked the first of his two goals.

Butters then kicked two goals in two minutes to give the Tigers a nine-point lead before Logan Young capped off a sweeping transition from half-back and pass from Buller to extend the advantage to 15 points.

However, consecutive goals to Peel in the last four minutes of the opening term trimmed the Tigers’ lead to just two points at quarter-time.

Two more goals to Peel gave the Thunder a 10-point lead approaching the halfway mark of the second term, before Max Spyvee kicked a timely major for the Tigers after being found by Lines.

Middleton then kicked his second for Peel to reclaim their 10-point lead, before the high-flying Jamieson hauled in a great mark and Butters kicked his third goal after gathering the crumbs off the pack and snapping accurately.

Butters then kicked his fourth goal early in the third term to turn Peel’s four-point half-time lead into a one-point advantage to the Tigers, before Buller kicked his second major after another goal assist from Lines.

Middleton then hit back for Peel with three consecutive goals in nine minutes to take his tally to five and give his team a 14-point lead at the final change.

However, the Tigers were far from done, as goals to Ben Schuhkraft and Charlie Malone trimmed Peel’s lead to just two points.

Connor Heuer replied for the Thunder before Jye Clark and Malone (second) kicked truly to give the Tigers the lead and set up a grandstand finish.

The rest is history.

CLAREMONT 4.1 6.3 8.3 13.4 (82)

PEEL THUNDER 3.5 6.7 9.11 11.11 (77)


CLAREMONT: 4 I. Butters, 2 J. Buller, C. Malone, 1 A. Davis, J. Clark, L. Young, B. Schuhkraft, M. Spyvee.

PEEL THUNDER: 5 B. Middleton, 2 I. Winder, 1 T. Thorne, J. Pina, J. Egan, C. Heuer.


CLAREMONT: J. Cooley, L. Thomas, A. Davis, J. Western, C. Jamieson, K. Lines.

PEEL THUNDER: B. Middleton, T. Thorne, Z. Rankin, K. Rawson, J. Pina.