Reserves: Royals Edge Tigers

Monday, September 3, 2018 - 10:50 AM

By Daniel Scamozzi. 

Claremont’s Reserves suffered a 16-point defeat against East Perth in glorious conditions in the qualifying final at Claremont Oval.

Three late goals from the Royals saw them prevail 12.11 (83) to 10.7 (67), meaning the Tigers now face Swan Districts in the first semifinal at Joondalup Arena on Sunday.

Despite holding narrow leads at the first two changes and a one-point advantage in the 17th minute of the final term, the Tigers couldn’t hold off the speedy Royals, and will now regroup as they aim to keep their season alive.

Ruckman Jeremy Goddard (14 disposals, five marks, 39 hit-outs) starred with his tap work, efforts around the ground and strong marking to finish as Claremont’s best player and win the players’ player award, with fellow big man Eddie Simpson (10 marks, two goals) also giving the Tigers tremendous service.

Midfielder Tom Curren (29 disposals) laid a team-high six tackles in a strong response to his League omission, with fellow midfielder Rylie Morgan continuing his strong form and recording game-high totals of 32 disposals and nine inside 50s.

Brett Wilson kicked a team-high three goals, including two outstanding finishes from the right-forward pocket at the southern end of the ground in the final term, while Morgan Davies (27 disposals, 10 marks, five tackles, five inside 50s) was also influential.

Meanwhile, Braydn Furmark kicked a game-high four goals for the Royals as the visitors booked a date with co-tenants Subiaco in the second semifinal.

Curren, Isaac Wallace and Shaquille Morton came into the team that lost to Swans in round 21, as the Tigers kicked to the northern end of the ground in the opening term with defender Jesse Laurie captaining the team.

A smother from defender Jacob Orr at half-back, which hit him in the face, ended the Tiger’s game through concussion and was an early blow for the team, though the hosts did kick a goal from the team-lifting act after Alec Waterman converted a kick-to-advantage from Nic Bucknall.

Nick Winmar then split the middle from a tight angle to give the Tigers consecutive goals and a great start, before Stan Wright replied for the Royals.

A ferocious tackle from Goddard on East Perth’s Shayne Hille in midfield earned the Tiger a free kick and was a sign of his appetite for the contest, before the first of Furmark’s four goals levelled the scores in the 21st minute.

Wilson then made the most of some nifty work from the speedy Bailey Bennett to restore the Tigers’ lead, before a strong mark at full-back from Simpson denied the Royals and saw the hosts take a seven-point lead at quarter-time.

Coach Steven Armstrong praised the “great start”, though a goal to Dwayne Bolton in the third minute of the second term pulled the Royals to within one point.

A goal to Simpson resulted from a smother and handball from Cooper Nitschke, before the latter went from goal provider to scorer after a searching pass from Winmar and a 50m penalty.

The busy Davies then gave the Tigers three consecutive goals and a 14-point lead, with the Royals guilty of missing several gettable shots at goal.

However, late majors to Mitchell Dobson and Austin Watson gave the visitors a strong finish to the term and trimmed the Tigers’ lead to two points at half-time.

A second goal to Furmark gave the Royals three consecutive majors, a fast start to the second half and a five-point lead, before Simpson replied with his second after a squaring pass from Curren.

Nathan Arbon then made the Tigers pay for a turnover in defence, giving the Royals a five-point lead at the final change.

Armstrong implored the Tigers to win territory and relish the occasion, though a goal from Nathan Eaton gave the Royals a fast start to the final term and extended their lead to 11 points.

Second goals to Wilson and Nitschke restored the lead for the Tigers, before Furmark bobbed up with his third to reclaim it for the Royals.

Another outstanding finish from Wilson restored it for the Tigers, before the Royals kicked the last three goals of the game.

CLAREMONT 3.2 6.2 7.4 10.7 (67)

EAST PERTH 2.1 5.6 7.9 12.11 (83)


CLAREMONT: 3 B. Wilson, 2 E. Simpson, C. Nitschke, 1 M. Davies, N. Winmar, A. Waterman.

EAST PERTH: 4 B. Furmark, 2 C. England, 1 S. Wright, M. Dobson, N. Eaton, D. Bolton, N. Arbon, A. Watson.


CLAREMONT: J. Goddard, E. Simpson, T. Curren, R. Morgan, B. Wilson.

EAST PERTH: H. Stack, D. Bolton, B. Furmark, A. Redhead.