Site Search

Development Report: Tigers Bitten by Bulldogs

Monday, July 10, 2017 - 12:37 PM
Share |

by Dan Scamozzi

Claremont’s Reserves suffered a disappointing 25-point defeat to South Fremantle in their top-of-the-table clash at Claremont Oval.

Despite leading by 14 points at half-time after a blistering five-goal-to-one second term, the Bulldogs slammed on eight goals to two in the second half to prevail 13.9 (87) to 9.8 (62).

The result leaves Claremont in second position on the ladder, two wins behind South Fremantle.

Aaron Holt (18 disposals, eight tackles, one goal) continued his impressive form to finish as Claremont’s best player, with Jacob Sideris (32 disposals, six tackles, one goal) in strong support.

Fraser Gilbert (six marks) led the way in defence and won the players’ player award, while Kaiden Gilbert (seven marks, three goals) provided a focal point in the forward line and displayed his prowess in the air and at ground level.

However, the biggest highlight of the game was the return from a knee injury of Bailey Rogers, who lined up in his first game since round five.

Souths were led by Jarrod Garlett (30 disposals, 10 marks, 10 tackles, seven inside 50s, two goals), who put on a clinic in midfield and going forward, while Mitchell Dzelebdzic kicked seven goals, including four consecutive majors in the final term, to end any hopes of a Claremont comeback.

Impressive goals to Jack Richardson and K. Gilbert were the highlights of Claremont’s opening term, with the Tigers trailing the Bulldogs by 11 points at quarter-time.

Coach Kepler Bradley implored the team to guard the corridor, and the message seemed to work wonders in the second term, as the Tigers responded in ominous fashion.

With Holt moved into midfield, the experienced Tiger kicked an early goal, which was quickly followed by a second to Gilbert as the hosts reclaimed the lead.

A fine snap by Sideris soon followed, with the Tigers now on top in midfield, inspired by the presence of Holt.

A second to Richardson extended the lead to 14 points, before Tom Vandeleur replied for Souths.

However, a late goal to Oliver Eastland, who was having an impact around the ground and working in fine tandem with the returning Jeremy Goddard in the ruck, saw the Tigers maintain their 14-point buffer at half-time.

Souths, inspired by the silky Garlett, had all the answers in the third quarter, as four goals to nil saw the visitors run amok from midfield and take an 11-point lead at the final change.

Four more unanswered goals in the final term made it eight consecutive for the visitors, before late majors to Corey Mitchell and Gilbert (third) provided little consolation for Claremont.

The Tigers will aim to rebound when they face third-placed Subiaco at Leederville Oval on Sunday.

Meanwhile, Claremont’s Colts recorded consecutive wins with a 37-point defeat of South Fremantle, 11.14 (80) to 6.7 (43).

CLAREMONT 2.2 7.5 7.7 9.8 (62)

SOUTH FREMANTLE 4.1 5.3 9.6 13.9 (87)


CLAREMONT: 3 K. Gilbert, 2 J. Richardson, 1 A. Holt, J. Sideris, C. Mitchell, O. Eastland.

SOUTH FREMANTLE: 7 M. Dzelebzdic, 2 J. Garlett, Z. De San Miguel, 1 A. Coutinho, T. Vandeleur.


CLAREMONT: A. Holt, J. Sideris, F. Gilbert, K. Gilbert.

SOUTH FREMANTLE: J. Garlett, M. Dzelebzdic, C. Pearson, K. Russell.